Saturday, November 29, 2008

Nursing Mothers


Quiet Time 36" x 36" oil on canvas by Melanie Banayat
Click on image

Recently I’ve received several emails and comments about my ‘nursing mother’ images – all of which were very positive. Hooray!!!!!


When I began painting these images I knew that some people would be uncomfortable with them, but I also knew that there would be a good number of people that would celebrate them (both women & men). I must say that I was a bit surprised that some gallery owners/managers didn’t feel comfortable exhibiting them. Hmmm?



Savoring Life 36" x 36" oil on canvas by Melanie Banayat
click on image

I will continue to paint more of these images in hopes to some day find a gallery (or some venue) that would be willing to exhibit these lovely images together and make them the focus of the exhibition.


Mother & Child 36" x 36"
oil on canvas by Melanie Banayat
click on image

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

Nursing does not diminish the beauty of a woman's breasts; it enhances their charm by making them look lived in and happy. ~Robert A. Heinlein


There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers


A baby nursing at a mother's breast... is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature. ~David Suzuki


Breastfeeding is a mother's gift to herself, her baby and the earth. ~Pamela K. Wiggins

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Rick said...

I like them. When you get a subject matter that receives such varried response, then you're on to something. Keep it up.

Rick said...

P.S.: You forgot a quote...

Psalms 22:9 Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother’s breast.

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!