Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Wall

It was bound to happen at some point . . .






Given her

magic carpet . .

she set out
on her journey
to save the world.















I’ve been going like gangbusters for about a year and a half, and I must say it’s been quite a ride. I had a rhythm going. What I didn't realize was that the rhythm was ticktock, ticktock, like a time bomb. Then last week it happened. Boom! I hit a wall. Smack! I sort of saw it comin’, but I thought if I just tried slowing down a little I could get past it -- no such luck. I hit it anyway. My boss (me) hasn’t given me a day off in a long time, so I guess this was forced upon me. Exhaustion. Since last Thursday I’ve been feeling blue, and I felt like I just needed to let loose of something – but what? So on Mother’s Day I rented a chick flick, “PS - I love you” and had a good cry. It felt sooooo good to just cry for some reason. I wasn’t really sad about anything, or angry, or anything like that. I must have been holding my breath without realizing it. “Breathe, Melanie, Breathe!!! TAKE A DAY OFF!”

How could I let it get this bad? I’m usually such an advocate for self-care, but seems that I left myself out of that equation over the past several months.

Note to self: move “time off” to top of priority list!

“Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold. But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow.” - Douglas Pagels



“Burnout is nature's way of telling you, you've been going through the motions your soul has departed; you're a zombie, a member of the walking dead, a sleepwalker. False optimism is like administrating stimulants to an exhausted nervous system.” - Sam Keen


_____________________________________________________

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!