Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Paint and Write...


...Because I can’t imagine myself doing anything else.


There are seasons in our life when we make decisions based on circumstance, where we must tuck our dreams away in a safe place in our hearts to protect them. That way when the time is right we can bring them back out again. Unfortunately, sometimes they get stuck, and we need a little push or pull to get them loosed.

In my studio in Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico

Despite circumstantial situations, I for one believe there always remains an underlying dream that awaits patiently, and sometimes not so patiently. I’m guilty of being one of those early idealists who just assumed that everyone was born with a gift, a talent, and a dream that was simply apart of who they were. Is that fact? As I get a little older I hesitate to answer that. I’m much more comfortable these days being willing to admit that I don’t know the answer. But if you were to ask me in confidence, just between the two of us, I would tell you in a punctuated whisper… Yes!

I recall a conversation with my mother in the kitchen when I was in seventh or eighth grade. I knew that my mother had become bitter, and built up walls around her after the death of my father. Though she would not admit it back then I can only imagine that her love for him was deep. In fact it wasn’t until she was in her 70’s that I finally caught a glimpse of her fondness for my father … so many years; so much heartache and fear. That day, back in the late 1970’s in our sun drenched kitchen with yellow countertops, I somehow found the nerve to ask mom if she had a dream. If there was something she always wanted to do in her life. Mom was not prepared to answer that question for me at that time, so she hid behind angry words. Anger was her escape. I didn’t understand it back then, but I learned.


Life has a way of repeating itself. This I discovered, like most of us do, in the school of hard knocks. I, too, had packed my dreams away on a number of occasions. I even became angry and bitter about it. But, just like clockwork, my dreams would periodically pop their little noggins out and look me straight in the eyes with hopeful encouragement, and my heart would melt. “Yes, ok, come on out, I think it’s safe.” But with so many years past, and time ticking away, my dreams seemed shabby and out of shape. And self-doubt would set in. “Did I lose them?” So once again I would pack them back in the their little crib, which was well worn and use to their presence.

Then…as life would have it, I got the big PUSH! It took 25 years for before those dreams were fully released once again. One of the boldest things I did in my life happened after divorce #2; I took a trip deep down into Mexico to find myself. I wanted to take a hiatus to for a while in order to transition from old life to new. I know that sounds so “New Age funky”, but it sums it up so well.

Before I made the big trip alone I needed to calm some nerves with my family. So I invited my mother to come check out this place with me in Mexico. We stayed for nine, wonderful, healing days. Every morning mom and I would wake and have breakfast in the hotel restaurant that we stayed in. We sat on the patio, under a giant Rubber Tree with an amazing view of Lake Chapala. Our breakfasts were leisurely. I loved it. It was the first time I had ever done anything like that with my mother. In fact, we hardly knew each other. Mom worked two, sometimes three or four jobs when I was growing up – I hardly saw her. But during those nine days, we learned more about each other then I ever imagined we could in such a short amount of time. It was a truly healing time. I learned about mom’s dreams – simple, yet authentic. I also learned to appreciate that she was now at a place in her life where her dreams are being realized in her roll as Nana (grandmother). I can appreciate that.

I love to see that my mother can finally, finally, finally, smile, and laugh, and tell me things about her life and her journey that she never could talk about before. I think it’s partially because she sees that I am now a woman who has had a few rough road experiences under her belt. We can finally talk woman to woman. It’s amazing to talk with her and see tears run down her face without trying to hide them anymore.

I’m especially tickled in how mom seems to be living vicariously though me these days, cheering me on, hoping that I can make my dreams come true. I may fall flat on my face, but I know I can get up, brush off, and find another way to live it.

Psssst! I still believe that dreams are discovered or revealed early on in life for some, and late in life for others . . . Don’t be afraid to fail, we all do it.


I paint and write because I can’t imagine doing anything else. I love it with a passion. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it.


Share/Save/Bookmark

13 comments:

TomboCheck said...

Great story!

Melanie Banayat said...

Hi Tom! Thanks for stopping by. I visited your site and read the story about your camera, and all the comments that were left on that post. Great story! My heart goes out to you. I just discovered that my Nikon D50 is malfunctioning, and I cringe to think of the cost to have it fixed.

I see you're here in Prescott. Cool! There is an artist reception at the Grayleaf Galleria this Friday - if you can come I'd love to meet you.

Anonymous said...

Melanie, I'll second Tom's comment. Painting, writing, photographing everyday life, sculpting, and most things creative take guts. We all do have spontaneous talents when we are young but it takes the the hot fires of life to forge them into something. Thanks for sharing your forge experiances. Hope to stop by Friday.

Granny J said...

Hi, Melanie --

Tombo directed me to your site & I discovered that my blog was on your blog roll -- thanks & wish I had known earlier!!!

What a wonderful way to know your mother as an adult -- I wish that had been possible for me.

joseph's art and stuff said...

Another great post, the pictures of you at work are a nice touch. I like seeing other's work space and seeing them in the creative process. I have to get busy making more work, thanks for the motivation.

EMELINA said...

Great story Melanie and I love your photos...see ya on friday! :D

Melanie Banayat said...

Tony, Sweet! I hope you can make it. I'd love to finally meet you in person. Your name came up during a meeting with my new art group about two weeks ago and I said, "hey, I know that name!"

Melanie Banayat said...

Granny J, It's nice to make the connection.

Yes, I cam across your blog back in February and instantly loved it. What a very cool thing you do.

Melanie Banayat said...

Joseph, what came first the chicken or the egg? You inspire me! 1:40 am and you knock out the beautiful "sketch" on August 11th. How many times did you hit snooze?

Melanie Banayat said...

WOW Emelina, Your blog is looking so HOT! Great showroom shots! Your new photo is also sizzling. Watch out, you go girl.

joseph's art and stuff said...

I hit the snooze twice, thanks for the reply. I'm still in a bit of rut. Hopefully tonight I can draw.

Rick said...

I was doing a bit of blog hopping and found yours. I really enjoy your art. Thank you for sharing it with me (us). I must try to make it back in October to try and win a print. I read the story of your Mom with interest. This quote came to mind.

“Be willing to relinquish the life you've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for you.”
                - Joseph Campbell
                (1904-1987)
                American professor, writer

Melanie Banayat said...

Rick, I'm glad you found me in your hopping around.

I love the quote by Joseph Campbell. It amazes me and takes my breath away when so much meaning can be stated with such few words. Thank you!

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!