Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Seder, Matzoh, and Kosher Wine, oh my!

Last night I spent the evening observing a traditional orthodox Jewish Passover (Seder) with a Jewish friend and his non-Jewish wife. I am not Jewish, but at some point during the evening Scott informed me (in joking) that now I am. It’s the first time I have ever been invited to participate in this ritual feast. I really enjoyed the entire experience. I learned a lot. My favorite line in the Passover book was, “It’s better to trust in the eternal than to rely on man.” I think it was on page 33? Anyway, the educational part was interesting, and helped me to understand the simplicity of the practice.

Since I was the youngest in the group last night I was blessed with the opportunity to read the part of the child during the ritual. At least they didn’t force me to search for the unleavened bread, which is the part of the ritual where a piece of matzoh, known as the afikoman, is hidden for a time during the Seder and usually a child is sent to search for it. It is a tradition compared with Christ's burial in the tomb before the resurrection.

It was a lovely evening, the company was fun, the food was wonderful, and the Kosher wine wasn’t so bad either! Wink, wink. It ended a little before midnight, which I understand is fairly early in many cases. It was a beautiful experience and I’m glad Scott and Pia Invited me and my husband to be a part of their celebration.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!