Thursday, June 12, 2008

Blue Boots Story


The Long Day is Over



How Frida Kahlo, Lila Downs, and my Friend Bill Scholar are connected by my “Blue Boots” . . .

















My painting of Blue Boots appears to be a favorite for many people for different reasons. It has been fun to listen to people’s comments about what the painting means to them, or how it makes them feel when they look at it. Funny thing is many people never even notice the blue boots in the painting at first glance. They seem to like the peaceful repose, and or the sensuality of the pose. Of course, all of my paintings have a story behind them (usually a true story) that most people never hear about. I don't feel it's necessary to tell them, because all that really matters is what the painting means to them. So I usually don’t tell the stories. But here on my blog, I get to tell the stories for anyone who may be interested. This is a bit of a long one.













Frida Kahlo

After I studied about the life of artist, Frida Kahlo, in college I fell in love with the idea of story telling in art. Frida’s work greatly inspires my work through her poignant messages in the images she portrays on canvas. The movie, Frida, starring Salma Hayek further impressed me about Frida’s passionate heart.













Salma Hayek as Frida Kahlo



Lila Downs














It was at the movie, Frida, where I saw the singer, songwriter, Lila Downs for the first time. Her voice was so powerful, and full of the same kind of passion that Frida exhibited in her life.
















To watch video interview of Lila Downs
for the Movie, Frida
Click here
















Bill Scholar

















Then I met Bill Scholar. Bill came to Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico in the Fall of 2006, which was the same time that I was living in Ajijic for six months. We were both there to heal. I was there to heal from emotional pain, and he was there to heal from both emotional pain from the death of his wife three years earlier, as well as to battle against his melanoma cancer through alternative methods.
It was Bill’s mother who brought us together after she attended my art exhibition in Ajijic. She sent me the following email:

Dear Melanie,

I am one of the many people who were at your show last night. I spoke with you about how moved and inspired I was looking at them and reading the words you wrote re: your inspiration for them. My son is here (in Ajijic, Mexico) from California for 3 months with his daughter to begin to heal his life from cancer, the death of his wife 3 years ago and the incredible stresses he has experienced over the past few years. To make a long story short; I wish that I had told him about the show but I didn't and this morning when I described your paintings and writing, he said that he would love to have a viewing. If you are not leaving right away, could that be arranged? I would be so grateful to hear from you.
Rachel


I was certainly blessed to meet Bill and spend some time together with him for a short time. I was scheduled to return to the United States just three weeks after I met Bill. In those three weeks we spent much time together just relaxing and taking in life.

I found Bill and his life to be quite interesting and inspiring. Even though Bill and I did not have a romantic relationship, it was deeply heartfelt. We had some really wonderful conversations, a lot of laughs, and simply a good time taking in the moments as they came. I felt that it was important to him to just be able to enjoy each moment as it came at that time, so that's exactly what we did. No worries, no fretting.

Bill and I actually spent quite a bit of time together, more than I had realized. In such a short time we had gone out to dinner and lunch many times, talked on the phone a lot, and emailed each other after I left Mexico. But one of the most memorable things we did was go to the Lila Downs concert in Guadalajara, which lead to our cross-country trip over to Patzcuaro, in Michoacan, Mexico, to find me a pair of blue boots. This is why . . .









I've polished a few dance floors with these boots!









Lila Downs was wearing an amazing pair of Blue Boots during her performance. I commented to Bill that I would love to have a pair of Blue Boots like that. He leaned over and said, “Well Mexico is the place to buy a pair, since it would be a lot less expensive here than in the States.” So he suggested that we go shopping for a pair of Blue Boots together. A few days later we set out on our journey. On our trip to Patzcuaro we listened to wonderful music that I had compiled on some CDs, some of the music was music he had never heard before. The lyrics often sent both of us into silence as we took in the words and pondered upon them driving through the beautiful countryside, and all the many little villages.
















After a full day of searching through dozen’s of Zapataria’s in the picturesque city of Patzcuaro, we finally ended our day at this sidewalk café’ and resigned with no success. After a leisurely break, two glasses of wine, and two cappuccinos we worked our way back toward Bill’s SUV and passed one more Zapataria. As I glanced at the window in passing there they were – the “Blue Boots” I was searching for.
Ok, so here is the cool part where Frida, Lila, and Bill come together in this story. Lila Downs is the beautiful young woman who sings to Frida Khalo in the movie, “Frida”. Well….the Blue Boots that we found in Patzcuaro has the name “Frida” imprinted on the bottom of the boots in the leather soul. It's the name of the company that makes the boots. I thought to myself, “how coincidental is that?!” Hmmmm?
















Bill and I talked about being “Travel Partners”. Meaning someone that we could travel around the world with without having any romantic ties. Just someone of the opposite sex who we got along well with, enjoyed doing many of the same things, and a willingness to be adventurous together. He invited me to go to Spain with him to be a witness to him “Running with the Bulls”. I laughed, but of course, he wasn't joking. So, that was the plan. I was going to go to Spain with him that following summer. Now whenever I think of him I picture him “Running with the Bulls” scared out of his wits and loving it at the same time! I truly loved his spirit.


I dedicate my painting, “Blue Boots” to Bill who passed away in February 2007 - four months after we met. Bill lived life to the fullest, and I feel honored to have known him even for the short time that we had together. The Long Day is Over, Bill. Salud. You are missed and remembered!
Peace & Love, Melanie


Click on the picture to see an enlarged image.

P.S. On my Blue Boots notecard I use the words, "The long day is over". Whenever I read those words on that card I think of both Frida & Bill. Frida suffered tremendously with physical pain for much of her life, and underwent numerous operations. In her latter years she often expressed that she was ready to pass on. I think of Bill when he expressed to me that he wasn't afraid of death. It was nice to hear the peace in his voice.


_____________________________________________________


MiliGirl Note Cards make unique gifts for women. Find and send the perfect "Just Because" greeting card at the MiliGirl Collection online store.

Please share this post with others - Thanks! Melanie Banayat
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

melanie,
i just wanted to take a minute to let you know your story of those boots is beautiful! i came across your blog because i'm looking for blue boots for my batman costume for halloween next week and the search has proven harder than i thought.
well, i was imediatly interested in your story because of its tie to frida kahlo and was intrigued by your adventure of finding those boots, but really those boots finding you.
i have a good friend of mine who passed away 6 months ago -exactly 2 months after her 21 birthday. (it was not an accident related to alcohol, though very tragic). and frida was her mentor in life. i remember in high school she would carry around a book (not exactly sure of the content) but it had a photo of frida on the front and some shallow people would make degrading comments about her unibrow and my friend would defend frida's beauty passed the 3 oclock school bell!
luckily, last winter her family took a trip to mexico for her dad's 70th birthday celebration and my friend was able to visit frida's home/display with her mom.
my friend was an artist in many ways and one of them was in her oil paints. she kept a journal and recorded her experience of walking into frida's room with the paint still out and brushes all over the place. when we visit the family some of us would visit our friend's room and it was exactly how she described frida's.
well anyway, all in all, im glad to hear you guys found eachother (lila, bill, and the boots). it makes for a beautiful story beyond the sorrow of hearing about your traveling partner.
cheers to your past and future adventures!
-zulema

Melanie Banayat said...

Zulema,
Thank you for sharing your story with me - it's beautiful. Maybe you friend had a little something to do with you finding this story. :)

Peace!

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!