Saturday, June 28, 2008

Behind the Scenes

We're Not in Kansas Anymore!

There is so much we don’t know about all the details involved in any business, or undertaking. It isn’t until we literally get behind the scenes ourselves before we can truly come to appreciate what goes into the final presentation.








For a good chunk of time in my life I owned and operated, of all things, a fishing resort up in the Cascade Mountains with an amazing view of Mt. Jefferson right across the lake.


Back in the mid 90’s my husband (at that time) and I came across this piece of Heaven on Earth that was for sale.



I remember walking around the resort glancing at the dinky, half emptied store, the beat up boat dock with about 40 rickety wooden boats, 10 shabby cabins, and numerous other funky out-buildings, plus all the surrounding campgrounds all located on this picturesque lake straight out of an outdoor adventure magazine … and getting caught up in the excitement that I heard in my husbands voice, and the expression of a wishful little boy on his face. Less than a year later there we were – the new owners of a rustic high mountain resort.

Of course, reality hit faster than a New York minute on our very first day. WE WERE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE, DOROTHY!!! It was intensive work to keep that place operating like all was peachy keen to the customer’s eye.











Over the many years of working the resort I discovered that at least once a week during the busy season some new customer that I had never met before would come into the store and tell me that they almost bought that resort when it was up for sale a few years back. Of course they thought they were just talking to the hired help not knowing that I was the owner. They would carry on about this and that in a cocky, bragging fashion all the way up until our discussion revealed that I was the owner. It never seemed to fail -- their reply would usually begin with a deep clearing of the throat, and big, long, OOOOOOOH.



I would venture to guess that most of these men, who almost bought the resort, more than likely didn’t buy it when they realized that it wasn’t the dream business they imagined it being. Maybe they actually came to their senses knowing that they really weren’t going to have any time to pursue their passion for fishing, or hiking, or any other outdoor hobbies or interests.



















Being an “ARTrepreneur” is no different. It’s a lot of work, the marketing, the office work, the bookkeeping, the preparation for the exhibitions, the packing, the shipping, the traveling, the ordering, the constant search for representation at art galleries and with other art dealers, the meetings with printers and other various vendors, the set up and break down, and, oh, did I mention the marketing and office work (uhg!), etc, etc, etc… and the art studio becomes quite illusive even though it’s right in front of you – whispering loudly, “What are you so busy doing? Get in here, would you!”

A dear friend of mine once commented to me that she imagined my life as an artist being trendy and romantic -- Leisurely mornings at the local cafe', late night inspirational painting sessions, etc. Then when she helped me break down, re-package and load up my art work and cumbersome display equipment into the back of my truck after a 'low attendance' exhibition I think the expression on her face said it all. She finally saw that the life of an artist wasn't all she imagined it being. Bless her heart.


________________________________________________________

Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading you blog. It is so true, a thankless job really. Do you still own the cabin? Curious?
jax chachitz

Robin Pedrero said...

I have posted about the business of art and the perception my neighbors or gallery guests have of us as artists. I will say though the actual painting and creating part, even all of the business sure beats many day jobs.

Melanie Banayat said...

Hello Robin,
"A Day Job?" That's worse than a four letter word!

I agree! I would do just about anything to keep from having to give all of this up; I'm addicted to it.

Melanie Banayat said...

Hi Jax,
Unfortunately, and fortunately.........Nope.

My 'ex' got the resort.

A large part of my life was spent there, and I will always have fond memories of living and working there in the summers alongside my husband and kids. It was a really cool & different way to make a living and raise a family. However, I have no regrets. I'm happy to be where I am today - creating art.

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!