Thursday, February 28, 2008

Can't Live Without It!


No Matter which
direction . . .


she turned,
she always
seemed to
face
toward heaven
when she danced.




When I was in Mexico I learned just how sensual dancing could be.

I signed up for a Latin Dance Aerobic class at the local gym in Ajijic. When I arrived the room was filled from wall to wall with Latina women of all ages, shapes, & sizes, plus a handful of American's (women & men). It looked like all the women from the entire village must have been there! It was packed almost shoulder to shoulder. When the music began, the instructor worked her way toward the front of the room. She was fit and quite sexy in her workout attire. She struck a pose, and began to move her hips. The rest of the room followed her cues. At first I had to really concentrate on the moves so that I wasn't running into the women around me. Once I started to get the hang of it I started to relax and get into it. I started to watch some of the other women (and young girls) move and shake with more and more attitude as the class progressed. I'm talking these women really let their hair down! It was their one hour of "Freedom" three days a week. Nothing else seemed to matter during that time. They all danced as if they were the most sensual, beautiful women on Earth. They were Dance Goddesses! I began to laugh with joy. These women were normally so plain, quiet, and almost unseen. But not there! There, each and every last one of them was the center of attention. Even if only in their own minds. I loved it. It was one of the best aerobic workout classes I had ever taken. I was soaking wet when I left the building

I immediately went home and knocked out this painting titled, “Latina Baila”.
(Female Latin Dancer)



Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

joseph's art and stuff said...

How did the whole "checking out" experience work for you? I'm at a crossroads myself and looking for new inspiration in my work and a new quest for life, I thought of travel and getting away for a while. My thoughts take me to the coast of Northern CA up through the Puget Sound. With my job I can't take off for too long, but I'm in an artistic rut that needs a shot.

Melanie Banayat said...

Hey Joseph, the whole "checking out thing" for me was met with mixed concern by family and friends. Some in support, others not so much. Some people just don't know what to think of it. Sounds like your spirit & soul need some real one-on-one time. Most people won't let them selves do it because of guilty feelings. If you do "check out" for a while, be purposeful about it. Know in your heart and mind what you want to get out of it, and your trip will be worth every moment, and every dollar spent. Just make sure you've covered all your basis at home before you take off, and check in with your loved ones from time to time to let them know you're ok. You don't want to return to a pile of unpaid bills, and pissed off people. When I "checked out" I came back with a whole new outlook on life. It was good medicine. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide. I’d love to hear back from you if you do take a trip.

Unknown said...

Melanie,

I love how you take an experience, and create art. What a wonderful story your art depicts, I can just picture all those wonderful women.

Pam

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!