Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Nasty Gas Prices

My Bike vs My Truck

Lately these outrageous gas prices have me trying to conjure up some clever way to use alternative means of transportation for my art business, and my life in general.

I went camping with my kids last week (LOVED IT!). We dusted off our mountain bikes and brought them along . It was so fun. I took the kids onto a trail through the woods, and we all had a blast. It had been many years since I’ve done that. Back in my 20’s I use to mountain bike ride a lot (back when I was a lot thinner and in much better shape, of course.) I forgot how much I loved bike riding.













Yes, that's me, half hidden behind my daughter's big feet.
I'm with no make up, day three with no shower, looking pretty scummy,
kickin' back by the campfire . . . I loved it!


Then later that evening as I sat around the campfire mesmerized by the flames I began having silly delusional ideas about hauling my artwork, my pro-panel portable walls, and my 10'x10' canopy via two wheels and a bicycle trailer in tow to my art festivals saving tons of money, and getting in really good shape to boot! Yeah right! Then it began to rain and my fantasy was washed away with reality.




















Click on image


Practicality
After giving it more thought I realized that "my world" during a common weekday outside of work simply does not lend to a pedal pushing lifestyle. First of all I live 5 miles outside of town, on a two lane country road with 55 mph traffic, and no designated bike lane, which is a pretty inconvenient obstacle.

The next big problem is family life. Even if I had a tandem built for six it would be pretty tough to chauffer the ‘family’ around to their endless schedule of school, activities, sports, friends, shopping, and make it back home in time to make dinner, do homework, check emails, etc… I'm not Superwoman - and I wouldn't want to be.

However, it’s certainly not difficult to see the value of bicycling. "There's health costs, there's social costs, there's planetary costs and there's quality of life issues."

The ugly fact is I drive everywhere, and the more I think about it, the more disgusted and frustrated I am about it. The maintenance, insurance, gasoline, oil, emissions, registration, licensing, taxes, repairs, parts, tires, parking fees, government fees, societal costs, safety and injury factors.

Call me whatever...
Comparing the pros and cons of a car versus a bike, to me the bike just sounds like the right thing to do. Whenever I think about how bikes and cars fit into the bigger picture, that really gets to me. I’ve set my life up in such a way that I’m cornered. The answer isn’t lower gas prices – the answer lies in my daily choices, and my long-term choices. Who I (we) elect at the voting booth, where I choose to live, what type of work I do, etc. I know, I know, that’s a pretty broad answer with many aspects to consider, but in reality – that’s the bottom line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as peeved about the high gas prices, the Government BS, and the greedy people who control it all just as much as everyone else.

What to do?
Do you have the answer? Best that I can tell is that it’s going to be a long, uncomfortable, and winding road.

. . . And I don't know about you, but I’m pretty tired of hearing myself complain!


________________________________________________________________
Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Miligirl. too much weight on the shoulders thing going on. I don't think modern conveniances, cars, electricity, living large, having fun etc are the problem. Being flexible with the situation is what is needed and it sounds like you are already in that mode. Attitude is what gets us through. When it comes to this oil/gas issue I have found that looking at conservation as proactive works better. New slogan for me now is "Militant Conservation" makes me feel like maybe I have some power in this thing, you know. So, Conserve, screw the suppliers! oh and have fun along the way.
Keep painting

Anonymous said...

I like Tony's approach of attitude, flexibility and conservation. In a constant and lazy attempt to find the easiest and quickest solution to a problem, we look for the home run and not for the 3-4 singles, which will actually accomplish more. I love Taco Bell's tag line "think outside the bun."
No Melanie, trading the truck for the bike may not be too practical, but hauling the bike to town on the truck and then looking for a central location to park, would now give you a chance to ride the bike for errands, get some exercise and save SOME gas. If we all take the challenge and look for the many creative ways to solve the problem and yet still ENJOY, we will be all the better for it.
And I think it will be so cool, when we start sharing our ideas and along with saving some money, will also see many other byproducts, like cleaner air, thinner, healthier people and who knows what new invention will be ready next week. It is always so amazing how many good things come out of difficult times.
Maybe some people will just keep making their homes a more peaceful refuge and need more of your work. Quit worrying, keep thinking and keep painting.

Melanie Banayat said...

I like your reply! Thanks, Anonymous, I needed that.

Melanie Banayat said...

I agree. In fact, I've been looking more and more into participating in bartering groups. Know of any here in Prescott?

joseph's art and stuff said...

I have an economical car that just doesn't fit the bill anymore. I also look for alternatives. I've always liked biking and hiking. I live just over ten miles from work, same road conditions...too many crazies, and I have to wear a tie all to often. Car pooling is out, no one lives on "my" hill. I just cut expenses elsewhere (no more lattes, pack a lunch, press my own instead of the cleaners... Anyway, loved the camping stuff. been awhile hope things are good in the art community for you. My creativity has been good but still needs a boost. Keep on painting and making great art. Oh by the way, I'm taking a week plus to go wander around the beaches of Oregon, to try to wrap my head around things. Not a long check out, but one I need.

Melanie Banayat said...

Hey Joseph, Good to hear from you! And especially glad to hear you're taking some time out for yourself. I use to live up in Oregon, so you're headed up to my old stomping grounds. Hope the weather is kind to you. Let me know how the trip went.

Soon you will be able to take a longer trip. Soon!

Peace!

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!