Monday, July 7, 2008

So, it’s in the Genes!

More Pieces Are Coming Together

When asked if I get my artistic talent from my mother or father I’ve always said neither, since neither one showed any artistic interest that I know of. But now I can answer that question differently from now on.


Patches 36" x 36" oil on canvas by Melanie Banayat
Click on image

Yesterday I received a very wonderful surprise -- An email from my Uncle Eloy, whom I’ve never met in person before, I’ve only spoken with him once on the phone, and corresponded by snail mail and email for a few years after; he lives in the Philippines. We made contact for the first time about 15 years ago when he called to inform me that my grandmother had passed away. The last contact we had was about 10 years ago. Then.... I moved, or he moved, I’m not sure which it was. And now....all of a sudden, out of the blue he's come back into my life. I’m so glad he found me again, especially since I’ve moved 11 times since our last contact.

Here is a portion of Uncle Eloy’s email:
“i had browsed over your paintings and they are impressive. the rillera genes are working well with you. rillera is the maiden family name of your grandma. the rilleras here in the philippines are very good in arts. the late uncle med rillera was an instructor in a trade school (he was very good in plaster of paris sculpturing. his son cousin rodel rillera (nephew of your late grandma) is also an artist like you. he paints in oil and made sculptures. most of his works are abstracts. you know, you have to be an artist to interpret the said work of art. yours truly is also an artist by heart."

"i was able to see your interview with AM Arizona and its the first time ever that i saw you and heard you talk. its a wonderful feeling."


Thank you so much for letting me know about the artistic family ties, Uncle Eloy!

__________________________________________________________________
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW....how cool is it to not only find lost relatives, but even more so, to be able to connect the dots that help explain, how you got to be the person you are.....ain't it all grand!!!

Melanie Banayat said...

Yeah, it was very cool! I felt like a little kid, jumping up and down, and running from room to room in the house telling everyone in the house.

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!