Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Oh...Just Bag It!


Call Me . . ."The Bag Lady!"

One of the easiest ways to have a positive impact on the world is to reduce our individual waste and to recycle and compost.



DID YOU KNOW ...
Just 50 years ago there was virtually no plastic in the garbage can. Now, we use eight billion plastic bags each year -- more than 300 for every household.

PLASTIC SHOPPING BAGS???? SAY, "NO THANK YOU" -- REFUSE THEM BAGS! Try the impossible and avoid plastic as much as you can. Bring your own bags!

You Can Never Have Too Many!

Yesterday I decided to be domestic around the house (not one of my strong points) after being away so much for art shows over the past two months. As I was putting stuff away I discovered that I have acquired a good number of tote bags during the past couple of years.














I acquired this tote while I was living in Mexico, when I shopped at the weekly Tiangus street markets. It was common to see people using totes in Mexico.




Now I notice that totes are everywhere here in the States, too! I love it! Although, they're still not as commonly used here 'yet', but I’m starting to s
ee more and more people using them at the grocery stores.






















I love how designers are coming out with some really artistic and creative designs for totes for those of us who enjoy fashionable accessories! Hah!
I saw these really cool totes (pictured below) online at www.uncommongoods.com.




these are their Recycled Newspaper Market Bags made from the Arts & Leisure section. Each one is handmade, and each one is one-of-a-kind. Sweet! I would love to have one of those, but at that price I may have to try to make one myself.


I think Fry’s food stores got it right when they started selling these insulated shopping totes for $2.50 each! I love using them, I think I got 6 of them now.

Whenever I go to tradeshows or expos where businesses are giving away reusable fabric totes I always take one. Heck, if I have more totes than I need then I start giving them away to encourage other people to remember to use & re-use their totes instead of paper & plastic bags!













Take them to the mall, grocery store, hardware store, to picnics, and of course use them for your art supplies, or whatever!




























This one came from my artist friend, Kae Knight, who was giving them away at the Artexpo Las Vegas last September. Check out her art at www.knightfineart.com




Live Simply that others may Simply Live
"Mahatma" Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi - "great soul" (1869 - 1948)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"Good house keeping practices in industries can reduce 30% of waste and thereby 30% of the cost of waste management."
— Sumith Pilapitiya


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!