Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Trusting Your Instincts


Click on 'Letting Go' note card


“Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts.
And never hope more than you work.”

- Rita Mae Brown


Over the course of this past year, ever since I created my MiliGirl Collection note cards, the following three questions have been coming at me quite a bit . . .

“Melanie, why did you decide to create a line a note cards using your artwork?” Why not just print ‘Art Cards’ with no written messages on them, because your art is so beautiful in and of itself that it doesn’t need words?” Aren’t you afraid of competing with yourself against your ‘Fine Art?”



Click on 'When A Woman Flies' note card

For years I have gone against my instincts when I took heed to the logic, reasoning, and fears of others who tried to influence my life in the direction they felt my life should go. Ultimately it was always my own decision to deny my personal instincts by allowing myself to be influenced to go in a different direction. In doing so I found myself involved in many things that were un-natural for me, stressful (in a bad way), and my spirit was in pain – I often found myself saying, “I feel like I’m drowning”. Though I am truly grateful for those experiences because I learned more about myself - these days I am trying to do better at paying closer attention to my 'personal ' natural instincts.


The decision to create the note cards came after I returned from my hiatus in Mexico when I transitioned my life after my divorce. First, I felt a need to try to make some important, though simple, needed changes in my everyday life in order to improve the quality of my life and my kid’s lives. Simple things like doing things that I love – things that I feel instinctually drawn to. For instance, I love dancing, because it is a natural expression of who I am and it brings me great joy. Yet, for almost 20 years I didn’t dance because neither my first husband nor my second husband danced. It was like a huge void in my life. Now I get it - when you trust your instincts, you're trusting your heart. It’s a way of celebrating who you are.



Click on 'Latina Baila' note card

The desire and the need to address female issues in my note cards, regarding self-esteem and trusting your instincts, is something that grew from my own personal experiences in life. These note cards offer a way for me to awaken dreamers, who are stuck in the dream stage, so they may move forth in following their true path and radiate light from their very core.


Click on 'Holding On' note card

Through my note cards it’s a simple way to reach many people in quiet, yet affective ways. Not shouting, “Change! Improve! Fix!”, instead, softly sending a message into a soul, “You are an amazing being…let love into your heart, and into your mind; let yourself trust and love who you are -- that is where peace & joy in the world begins.”

I also find that note cards are a great tool to rouse communication and conversation, so that we can come to understand the common threads between us, and become active toward bringing forth thought and reaching out to others one person at a time. We may never know how far our small efforts reach in exponential factors - we just have to trust that the process works.

Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else's. ~Billy Wilder

Trust your hunches. They're usually based on facts filed away just below the conscious level. ~Joyce Brothers

Intuition is a spiritual faculty and does not explain, but simply points the way.
~Florence Scovel Shinn


(I especially liked this quote! LOL!)
An artist's instinct is more refined than the typical mortal's.
~Holden Rinehart

Now - here is a little 'ad' about my MiliGirl Collection Product line:
These 'anytime' cards are prefect to send to any woman in your life! Friend, Girl Friend, Mother, Daughter, Wife, Co-worker, or the Woman you just met who could use some encouragement. The cards are sold individually and in gift sets.

The MiliGirl Collection is growing. Soon (very soon!) there will be an entire line of MiliGirl Collection eco-friendly, organic gift products that compliment the MiliGirl note cards. All of the products are based around lifting the spirit and relaxing the soul. The Products include: All natural soy based candles, natural handmade olive oil soap bars, organic handcrafted candy drops, and MiliGirl ‘Eco-Chic’ re-usable canvas tote bags.

I like the way things are shaping up around here!





Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

TomboCheck said...

A good lesson to be had here. Something that anybody and everybody should take to heart. :)

Unknown said...

"cards are a great tool to rouse communication and conversation, so that we can come to understand the common threads between us, and become active toward bringing forth thought and reaching out to others one person at a time. We may never know how far our small efforts reach in exponential factors - we just have to trust that the process works.

I AGREE! =) I agree with your words because it has been through many individuals in my life that each effort made to encourage me, love me, protect me in the smallest form set forth by strangers or loved ones through their words, conversation or simple notes written on a card has shaped me into the person I am today.

Melanie Banayat said...

Annissa, how very cool that you recognize and acknowledge how the small efforts of people who have cared about you made such a big difference in your life. I have been a ‘note writer’ ever since I was very young. I started out leaving notes on my mother’s pillow the morning after I knew she had a bad day the day before. Now I leave notes for my kids. I don’t always hear back about the notes, but I know they read them.

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!