Monday, October 13, 2008

Controversial Art


What are your thoughts on

Damien Hirst’s
“Conceptual Art”?


Damien Hirst is one of the most prominent artists referred to as the "Young British Artists" or "YBAs". He is famous for creating controversies like putting dead animals in formaldehyde and presenting them as art. Hirst mostly explores the themes of life and death.

It's no surprise that Damien's 'shock factor art' is so popular in Britain, and yet it still fascinates me what gets people with that kind of money to reach into their pockets. Much of what Damien does with the money he acquires from the sales of his "art" goes to children's charities, aids research, or toward things like a giant solar system that generates power for half of his country.

I guess if you have the guts to do it, you can afford to do it, get away with it, and manipulate those few wealthy suckers to buy into it then who am I to say if it's art or not. It's all subjective anyway. However, I must say, in light of our world's economic situation this auction is bothersome to me on many levels. On the other hand, hopefully some good will come of it in terms of charitable donations.

This is one of those events that gets me to scratch my head and say, "hmmmm?"

I just wanted to find out where the boundaries were. I've found out there aren't any. I wanted to be stopped but no one will stop me.
- Damien Hirst


$198M Hirst art auction defies global gloom Read story



Damien Hirst's Auction Gamble Watch Video

Damien Hirst at Sotheby's: The actual sale of the Golden Calf Watch Video

Damien Hirst's Shark at the Met – how it was created - Watch Video

Damien Hirst - The Agony and the Ecstasy Napoli Watch Video

Damien Hirst Sick of His Own Art Read Story
"Hirst says he will no longer be producing any of his famed formaldehyde works, such as the shark and cow series, nor will he continue with the spot and spin paintings he's so well known for. "

Aaron said…"So in other words, Damien Hirst is going to start actually making art again."


* Click Here for Instructions on how to post a comment on my blog without a Google Account. It's easy!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!