Monday, October 6, 2008

Sedona Arts Festival - the day after

What is the only job where you can be wrong 100% of the time and still keep your job?

Answer: Weather Reporter

The forecast was 30% chance of rain Saturday & Sunday in Sedona. No mention of wind. Here’s what actually happened.

Early Saturday morning as I was driving into Sedona to get ready for the Sedona Arts Festival the sky looked ominous. As I made my way through all the white top tents on the field I could here the artists attempting to shun away the oncoming change in weather by talking positively – I joined in on the rally – why not? “Oh I think it’s just going to pass us right up.” But it wasn’t hard to see through to the doubt. Things went well during the morning hours of the show. The sun was shining between the heavy, darkened clouds. Some people were dressed for 100-degree weather in tank tops, shorts and sandals. Then suddenly it hit us – a crazy wind out of left field. You could see the sea of tents rising, shaking, and leaning hard to one side. I ran to grab a corner post of my tent and Greg grabbed another. The wind was catching my 4-foot awning and lifting the canopy. Two of my paintings began swirling. I reached over to hold them down, but they wanted to take off like kites. I looked at the other artists around me who were struggling to hold down their tents as well. Art was falling, and breaking all around. I glanced inside my tent as my greeting card rack fell to the ground, brochures and business cards taking flight, and then the hard rain joined in on the fun pelting us at just the right angle to get everything wet inside. It lasted about 10 minutes – it felt more like an hour. The wind finally died down enough to take down the awnings and zip up the tent.

What a mess.

The festival quickly became a ghost town, so we cleaned things up and then decided to go have a margarita! Hah! Hah!

Sunday was perfect weather! The day was bursting with sunshine and blue skies all around, comfortable temperature, tons of people, and good sales.

What a crazy business.

If you are looking for something to be brave about consider fine arts.
- Robert Frost

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it. ~Patrick Young

Weather is a great metaphor for life - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and there's nothing much you can do about it but carry an umbrella. ~Pepper Giardino


* Click Here for Instructions on how to post a comment on my blog without a Google Account. It's easy!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!