Thursday, October 9, 2008

Grounded


Grounded 36" x 36" oil on canvas by Melanie Banayat

Grounded is a very spiritual piece to me.
I created ‘Grounded’ when I was at the beginning of a major transition in my life. I was in search of inner peace and a sense of groundedness at a time when everything was so chaotic throughout every part of every day.

I consider myself a spiritual person (not religious). I began to write this post with references to my varied religious experiences, but then I chose to delete all of that, because I choose not to get into religious banter or criticism. Instead I choose peace, understanding, and acceptance.

The following is an excerpt from my journal regarding Grounded:

October 2006 - It’s the morning after the art exhibition in Ajijic. I want to write down my thoughts while the feelings are still fresh in my body. I’ll start out by describing my favorite guest of all – a moth. Yes, a giant moth. I’ll call the moth, Marrón, because she was this beautiful Burnt Umber brown. She was one of the early guests to the show. The front door was wide open during the entire show, so Marrón just flew right in and fluttered around for a few minutes. She caught my eye, and my first thought was I hope that moth doesn’t bother anyone. Then she landed on one of my paintings. The painting she landed on is titled, “Grounded”. The painting is of a woman who is sitting in lotus position with vines growing out of her core, and roots coming out of her feet into the ground. Well, Marrón landed on one of the vines on the painting and remained there for about 15 minutes. I could hear some people commenting wondering if the moth was real or part of the painting, because it was so still. Other people were wondering if it was stuck to the paint because they knew many of the paintings were still wet. The painting was hung high on the wall, so I went to get a broom to shoe it away. Marrón immediately flew off and fluttered around the room again, then promptly returned to the same exact spot on the painting. The comments were in awe….”Wow, did you see that!” people were saying. So again, I shoed her off, and once again she came back to the same place. I then decided to leave her there. I realized she brought positive energy to the painting and for the moment – she was truly apart of the piece. She kept landing on the vine as if it were real. It made the painting feel even more earthy, which is what that painting was all about. I’ll always remember Marrón when I look at that painting. She is now part of the painting’s story.


Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.
- Denis Waitley

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
- Albert Einstein

The especial genius of women I believe to be electrical in movement, intuitive in function, spiritual in tendency.
- Margaret Fuller

The personal life deeply lived always expands into truths beyond itself.
- Anais Nin



* Click Here for Instructions on how to post a comment on my blog without a Google Account. It's easy!


MiliGirl Note Cards make unique gifts for women. Find and send the perfect "Just Because" greeting card at the MiliGirl Collection online store.

Please share this post with others - Thanks! Melanie Banayat

Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

TomboCheck said...

And all the time Marron is thinking 'This is the weirdest damn vine I have ever seen. I can see it, but where the heck is it?'

A very cool story! :)

Melanie Banayat said...

I just love all the comments I receive on this blog - it's like comedy relief. How funny!!!

Anonymous said...

I saw your art on Sunday in Sedona and as a fellow artist and feminist-breastfeeding mom it truly touched my heart. I someday hope to reestablish my art career once my little ones are older. Art should be done with a certain passion and.....you have it.

Melanie Banayat said...

Heather,
Hi. I remember you at the show.

The one thing I noticed that changed about my art after having children is that it became a lot more passionate. Your little ones will no doubt bring forth a deeper sense of meaning in your work when you return to it. For now - enjoy every single moment possible with them, because it really does go by so fast.

Rick said...

I've been catching up on your blog this morning Melanie - enjoying what I saw and read. I guess Marrón wanted to be grounded too.

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!