Friday, March 28, 2008

FOOD is ART!



I like to eat food that is created by people who approach cooking as an art.





The process, the textures, the colors, the flavors, the presentation – it’s an art! My problem is that I have a tendency to appreciate it more than I should.















Eve's Island
Oil on canvas
30" x 40"









On my quest to eating better, exercising, and simply taking better care of my health I have tried to keep an open mind and learn more about my body (inside and out). Oh, I listen to what others have to say about what they do to take care of themselves, I read books, articles, and try to make sense of what the media reports on the latest concerns.


What I’ve determined from all of this is that we are each similar in many ways – mainly, we need food to fuel our bodies, and keep us alive. But we are also all so very unique in our genetic make up, chemistry, physical build, and lifestyles that all of it needs to be taken into consideration when we are trying to do what’s best for US.















My next determination is that we each need to research how we differ from everyone else in the world. A Doctor can’t tell you, and neither can your loved ones. Only you know your body better than anyone else, because you live in it, and you feel it. So, the best thing to do is pay close attention to what it’s telling you.

"The burden of food-related ill health measured in terms of mortality and morbidity is similar to that attributable to smoking.... The vast majority of the burden is attributable to unhealthy diets rather than to food-borne diseases."

— Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health


About a year ago, I had a good friend tell me about a book called, “Eat Right For Your Blood Type” by Dr. Peter J. D’Adamo. I found it to be an interesting theory and approach to optimized health. However, you need to know what your blood type is. I’ve discovered in my communications with others that very few people actually know their own blood type. I didn’t know mine. So I made the effort to find out what my blood type is and then I read the book. I discovered that my body responds to certain foods just as the book said my blood type does. Amazing! It explains why, and how our body is affected (short term and long term) by the foods we eat based on our blood types.
I've known for years that Chocolate and Caffeine have an adverse affect on me just by paying attention to my bodies reaction to them (fibroid cysts, and migraines). I knew this even before any doctor told me.

And I love Chocolate - what a bummer.
But I stay away from it.


I always wondered why one diet works for some people and not for others. Now I know, it’s because there is no one diet that addresses our individual chemistry make up, food intolerances, lifestyle, etc. We have to make the effort to learn about our own bodies, and pay attention to what it’s trying to tell us. Then we have a choice to make, we can choose to do what we have learned is right for our individual selves, or ignore them. Making those discoveries in the first place is an ART worth mastering! Of course, the next ART is figuring our how to eat right for yourself, when someone else in your household has a completely different blood type with different food intolerances, and concerns. Whew! Good luck!

"What we do today, right now, will have an accumulated effect on all of our tomorrows."
- Alexandra Stoddard , author, interior designer and philosopher of contemporary living


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!