Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Obos Moment - painting

An Obos is a Japanese term that literally means a pile of rocks, usually only three, one on top of another. It is an ancient ritual that has been practiced for many years in different cultures. Some call them Inukshuks, or Pogoda prayer stone stacks. This balancing of stones is done for various motives, as a meditation, as art, as recreation, as creative play, and even as an occupation. It is performed in public by some and done privately by others. These curious structures symbolize stability - being that a stone is an enduring matter, even though the fragile stack can easily be knocked down with a simple push of in index finger (yet easily rebuilt). Being such an unusual configuration, it is obviously from the hand of man that whispers quietly "I was here". They can be found at the shore, alongside a mountain path, and in private gardens.

Since my divorce (actually, since my separation in 2004) the symbolism, and even physical presence of stones have become more and more prevalent in my life. At that time I was really wearing out my girlfriends shoulders with all my whining, complaining, and uncontrollable sobbing, so I joined a divorce support group where I could unload all the "shit" feelings and thoughts that plagued my mind in order to keep from spontaneously combusting. The group consisted of about 8 people in the midst of divorce proceedings (including only one brave man among 7 angry women). As the weeks progressed the group began to build a strong bond of trust that allowed us to spill out some pretty deep emotional garbage. Then eventually one-by-one we each began to enter into divorce court hearings. One of the members of the group brought in a small stone and suggested that each member who goes into court carry the stone with them to symbolize the presence and support of the group -- so they didn't feel all alone in the cold courtroom. When it was my turn I remember sitting in court with my hand in my pocket rubbing the smooth, polished stone between my thumb and index finger like a pacifier.

I created this painting titled, Obos, as a private tribute to those of us who are in the throws of something challenging in life. To those who are searching for something higher. This ritual, whether called prayer or meditation, can help with answers to questions that may not necessarily be asked in consciousness. It allows for pause, a pondering thought or a new direction. It can offer a reprieve from chaos, an opportunity to re-commit to our struggle and a moment to profess the value of our personal effort.
- Build one.



She placed three stones...


one on top of the other
to form an Obos.

Her esoteric message
to the universe.

I was Here!
I am Here!
Remember Me!
And so it is.








Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!