Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Kids - Budding Artists

I believe that creativity in kids comes so naturally to them. All they need is materials to work with and the freedom to create what comes to them.



My son
created this
painting

when he was
9 years old.










I often meet people who tell me their children are artistically talented, but they know nothing about art themselves and aren't sure how to encourage them. So I share with them what I do for my kids. I always keep a few boxes, cabinets, and drawers, full of art supplies, crafts, recycled items, wood scraps, and tools. Yes, they even have their own cordless drill, bits, screws, etc. And if you can, invest in good quality supplies. For instance don't buy paint brushes made with plastic bristles, because that will only result in crummy looking art! Also, don't hold your kids to following exactly how something is done in an instructional art book or craft book. They're kids - let them experiment! 'You' may want them to create a masterpiece that you would be proud to hang on the wall and show everyone that walks into your home. But keep those thoughts to yourself. I know it's hard, but don't try to tell them how to "fix" their painting if they didn't ask you for your help or opinion. The only expectation you should have is doing your best at keeping those boxes full of stuff they can create with. It's an investment, but wouldn't you rather they be painting and creating art then getting into something like sex & drugs. I say, thumbs up for good art supplies!!





Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Now You Can Personalize My MiliGirl Notecards on my Zazzle Store!